Academic Assessments, Tutoring And Promoting Literacy
Partnering with other agencies we conduct academic assessments and offer on-site tutoring with the goal of making sure the children in our care are performing at grade level or above. We also encourage and empower Mothers to read and write for at least twenty minutes each night with their children.
Counseling And Mentoring
Our Director of Children’s Advocacy, our Client Support Specialists, and Agency Partners provide ongoing counseling, support and mentoring to children living at Raleigh Rescue Mission. Based on the findings from assessments and screenings, we seek to empower our children and parents with the correct set of tools to thrive. Regular meetings are held with parents and children to provide updates about educational and behavioral concerns. We offer Parent Support and Education groups, and Mentorships for both parents and children.
On-Site Nursery And Child Development Center
We provide an on-site nursery for children aged birth through 2 and ½ years old. Additionally, adjacent to the Mission we operate the W.E. Mangum Children’s Development Center, which serves children between the ages of 2 and ½ to 5 years old. Both facilities are staffed with knowledgeable personnel trained in early childhood. We know that these early years are the most formative of a child’s lifetime and we focus helping the youngest in our care with Child Development Activities including:
- Nutrition – healthy meals and snacks provided
- Social-emotional – learning to regulate emotions and behaviors
- Fine motor skills
- Language Development – includes following directions and speaking clearly
- Cognitive – problem solving and playtime
- Literacy – phonics skills and interaction with books
- STEM – Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics
- Social Studies – knowledge of self and others
- Arts – exploring visual and musical concepts