A Few of Our Favorite Things
January 27, 2021
Imagine living in a big building with lots of other people you didn’t know before. And then imagine it in the middle of a pandemic, isolated even from your new-found friends and mentors due to COVID safety restrictions. Christmas 2020 could have been pretty bleak, but thanks to generous individual, family and corporate donors, the children and adults at Raleigh Rescue Mission celebrated the birth of Jesus with gifts, special meals and fun activities.
Just a few examples:
- Jon and his son Vincent, from Cub Scout Pack 253, brought stockings filled with gifts and handmade cards for each child
- Vincent’s sister Camille built a bookshelf for the Mission’s children and filled it with books
- The employees at Pratt Industries created and purchased corrugated ornaments as a way to raise funds for Christmas gifts for the Mission’s children
- Donors contributed their own dollars to supplement the gift buying power of our working moms and dads
- Our friends at Fred Smith Company donated and wrapped new toys for the children to open on Christmas morning
- Dedicated staff at the Children’s Development Center planned Twelve Days of Christmas and held a Polar Express movie night for parents and children, complete with a hot cocoa bar and craft-making
- All of our clients enjoyed a special Christmas Eve dinner prepared by the Mission’s chef. The meal received rave reviews!
At Raleigh Rescue Mission, we couldn’t do what we do without you. Thanks to you, adults and children experiencing homelessness have a place to find solace, learn new skills, get sustainable jobs and save money to purchase cars and permanent housing. And yes, thanks to you, they were able to see God’s love in action and find joy in a few of their favorite things.